Sunday, 18 May 2014

Knife

"Cut the cake
             And put down the knife"
The candlelight flickers
      "Make a wish!"
The cat drowses, eyes no longer green
           "Now you are an adult"
The scorching wax drops down
                                         flows down
                                                     the stoic candle.

        "And put down the knife."
I held the knife tightly.
       It wasn't a knife. It was a piece of lifeless 
    clear plastic.
             Etched with the words:

Beauty
Time.


Flash
         The camera.
    "Come on up, we have our cake here!"
  The knife was lead, that sank
             into the cake
                                  red, flowing
                                                       warm.

         I              
did not move my hands
    The lifeless
                    despicable
   hateful piece of polythene 
           propelled itself
 created
                   forcefully ripped 
      apart.

The way of flowing
           Downwards.
        The way of thinking
                  Backwards, archaic.
    Isolated, despised.

 The toppings collapsed 
                      The execution
       by the guillotine.
              Callous, murderous.
    They never liked to be on 
        there anyway.
      
         Then
I realized
                  I have torn it apart
       Myself.
   The knife
         just a piece of
 lifeless
       thoughtless
  polythene
A tool.

Of beauty
and time.